Baptist Clock

Baptist Minute Book 1929–1958
June 25 1958
Considered the purchase of a reconditioned electric clock from John Smith & sons at a cost of £140. A village collection towards the cost was suggested

Sept 1958
Mr Alfred Bowmer offered free assistance in the installation of the new electric Clock, in preference to the reconditioned one.
Up to Nov 3 1958 £186.11.0 had been raised through public subscription.

Courtesy Alan Flint

1958 appeal for the Crich Baptist Clock

 

The photo below shows the dedication of the clock on the Baptist Chapel in c1959.
The cost of the clock was raised by public subscription.
The invited speaker was Mr. Bellamy, the new, indeed the first headmaster of Frederick Gent School at South Normanton. 

Photo courtesy Joyce Lester

dedication of the Baptist chapel clock in c1959

 

The following photograph was taken on the 10th June 1982, at 6pm. By this time the clock needed to be renovated, and the occasion in the photograph was the grand switch-on following the work done by Smith of Derby, the world renowned clock-makers. The two ladies switching the clock on are Mavis Drewry and her sister Barbara. They used to run the chip along with their parents.

Photo courtesy Joyce Lester

baptist clock ceremony at Crich 1982

 

With thanks to Alan and Ruth Flint