There were once three Primitive Methodist Chapels in Crich Carr. A map created in 1879 shows the position of two on Hindersitch Lane.
The lower chapel was near Middle Lane and the upper chapel just above Top Lane as shown on the map.
One of these two chapels must have been in use before 1837 as reported in the Derbyshire Courier –
Derbyshire Courier 22 July 1837
Crich Carr-on Sunday last the 16th instant, the Sunday School Sermons for the Primitive Methodist school, at Crich Carr, near Cromford, were preached in the open air (the chapel being far too small for the occasion) to very large audiences, by the Rev W Stokes, of Burton upon Trent. The collections exceeded those of former occasions, and testified the attachment of the people to the increasing schools of that picturesque village.
A second chapel was built around 1845. Its opening was reported in the press –
Derbyshire Advertiser and Journal 13 August 1847
Crich Carr – on Monday last, the children belonging to the Primitive Methodist Sunday school were regaled by their teachers and friends with tea and plumcake, in the newly erected chapel belonging to that society of Christians.
Oral local history states that the upper chapel was rather small with a tin roof which suggests that the lower chapel, which was more substantial, was the one newly built in 1845.
A third Primitive Methodist chapel was built on Top Lane to replace that built in 1845.
This chapel was shown on a map of about 1882. The map also shows the lower chapel but has no mention of where the upper chapel once stood as shown on the 1879 map.
The opening of the third chapel on Top Lane was reported in the press
Derbyshire Times and Chesterfield Herald 27 April 1878
Opening of a new chapel at Crich Carr near Belper
A new chapel in connection with the primitive Methodist body, was opened for Divine worship at Crich Carr, in the Belper circuit, last week. For nearly 40 years the primitive Methodists have conducted a public worship, and taught a Sabbath school, at Crich Carr, in the year 1845 they erected a small chapel, which will seat about 100 persons. This chapel has been made to serve for all purposes until the present time. It has however been long been inadequate for the accommodation of the congregation and the Sabbath school. It was therefore resolved some 18 months ago to make an effort to raise new and better premises. While deliberating on the matter, the society found a friend in Mr John Sims, of Crich Carr, who kindly offered to give an eligible site of land on which to erect a new chapel and schoolroom, the stone required, in the erection and £100 towards the cost thereof.
This was built with stone donated from a local quarry by John Sims who also provided the site and £100 towards the cost.
There was a race on with the Crich Baptists to see who could finish their chapel first. The Crich Carr Methodists claimed a moral victory.
It is now a private dwelling.
With thanks to Ronnie LYNAM, Alan PERRY and Eric BOWMER for information received.