The following is a transcript of the entries for the Parish of Crich in the Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1831.
CRICH, a parish comprising the township of Crich, in the hundred of MORLESTON-and-LITCHURCH, the township of Wessington, in the hundred of SCARSDALE, and the hamlet of Tansley, in the hundred of WIRKSWORTH, county of DERBY, and containing 2961 inhabitants, of which number, 2024 are in the township of Crich, 4 miles (W by S) from Alfreton.
The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Derby, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, rated in the king's books at £6 10s 10d, endowed with £200 private benefaction, £200 royal bounty, and £600 parliamentary grant. The Lord Chancellor, by reason of lunacy, presented in 1801. The church, dedicated to St Mary, has a tower surmounted by a spire, and contains several ancient monuments of the Dixie family. There are two places of worship for Wesleyan Methodists, one at Crich, the other at Tansley.
This place, which is situated on an eminence commanding extensive prospects, was, not long since, an inconsiderable village, and rose into importance from the establishment of a cotton-manufactory at Frichley in 1793: in 1810 it received the grant of a market, which was discontinued on the decline of the manufactory; fairs for cattle are held on April 6th and October llth. Several of the inhabitants are employed in the adjacent quarries, which produce limestone of a superior quality, a considerable quantity being sent to London and Manchester; here are also kilns for burning it: the manufacture of stockings is carried on to a limited degree.
The Cromford Canal passes along the western side of the parish, and through a tunnel at its north-western and southern extremities: from the latter point a railway runs northward to within a short distance of the village.
The manor of Wakebridge, in this parish, which formerly belonged to Darley Abbey, still enjoys the privilege of exemption from king's duty on lead-ore, the mine of which is considered the richest in the county.
TANSLEY, a hamlet in that part of the parish of CRICH which is in the hundred of WIRKSWORTH, county of DERBY, l mile (E) from Matlock, containing 449 inhabitants.
There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists.
Two children are educated for a trifling sum, bequeathed by Sir John Statham, in the reign of Anne.
Tansley is in the honour of Tutbury, duchy of Lancaster, and within the jurisdiction of a court of pleas held at Tutbury every third Tuesday, for the recovery of debts under 40s.
WESSINGTON, a township in that part of the parish of CRICH which is in the hundred of SCARSDALE, county of DERBY, 3 miles (NW by W) from Alfreton, containing 488 inhabitants.