which consists of the villages of Crich, Fritchley and Whatstandwell

Snippets of news from the papers

DERBY MERCURY 16 June 1847


The inhabitants of Crich having for some time past experienced the inconvenience of interring their dead in an already crowded church yard, resolved, at a vestry meeting, to endeavour to enlarge the same by purchasing some additional land lying contiguous to the one now in use at the east end of the church, when, after various obstacles attending the purchase of the land had been overcome, and a substantial stone wall built enclosing it, the same was consecrated on Wednesday, June the 9th, by the Lord Bishop of Lichfield, in whose diocese Crich is situated.

Divine service was celebrated in the church. The prayers and the beautiful and unequalled litany composing the morning service of the church were very impressively read by the Rev. Thomas Carson, vicar, at the conclusion of which a procession was formed to the new ground in the following order:—
J. Stevens, Esq., apparitor, with his wand of office. The Rev. Thomas Carson, vicar; on either side of him were Mr. John Bacon, and Mr. Isaac Spendlove, churchwardens. The Rt. Rev. the Lord Bishop of Lichfield.
Rev. J. Halton, Wingfield Manor – Rev. H. Arkwright, Cromford.
Rev. J. Wood, Swanwick – Rev. J. Harward, Wirksworth.
Rev. J. Lund, Morton – Rev. J. Rushton, Brackenfield.
Rev. J. Nodder, Ashover – Rev. H. Pearson, Carsington.
Rev. J. R. Errington, Alfreton – Rev. W. Barber, Heage.
And several other clergymen whose names did not transpire.

On arriving upon the ground the deed of settlement was read over by J. Mott, Esq., Registrar of the Ecclesiastical Court, Lichfield, and signed by the Bishop. Afterwards, the Bishop offered up the consecration prayer; a few verses of the 39th psalm were sung by the choir, and a blessing pronounced, when the procession returned to the vestry in the same order as it arrived.

The day being fine, the novelty of the occasion attracted a numerous company of spectators, to witness the ceremony, amongst whom were observed: – F. Hurt, Esq., and the Misses Hurt, Alderwasley; the Misses Wood, Swanwick; E. Radford, Esq., Tansley; Mrs. Nodder, Ashover; Mrs. Carson, Crich; Thomas Lee, Esq., and Mrs. Lee, Crich; Mrs. Fletcher, Crich; W. Saxton, Esq., and L. R. Saxton, Esq., Crich; Mr. Hill; Mr. Wheatcroft; Mr. Woollat, Wessington Hay; Mr. Thomas Bowmer and Mrs Bowmer, Barn Close House, Crich.

The children belonging to the Sunday School were in attendance, and sung with much sweetness the various hymns selected for the occasion.

After the ceremony his Lordship, together with the clergymen and other visitors, retired to the vicarage, where they were hospitably entertained to a cold collation by the respected vicar and his lady.

Derby Mercury 6 April 1864

It is with great pleasure that we announce the gift of a fine toned organ to the above place of worship by the Misses Hurt, of Crich Chase House. The cost of the instrument is £150.


Home| Church Index