which consists of the villages of Crich, Fritchley and Whatstandwell

John Dawes (1851 – 1917)

Between 1885 and 1900 John Dawes was one of the leading tradesmen in the village. He certainly was an enterprising business man. As well as trading he was tithe collector, highway surveyor, collector of taxes and secretary to the local coke and gaslight company. He appeared in various Directories. He had started off his working life as an apprentice to his grandfather Thomas Dawes, coal merchant.

Kelly 1887:
Dawes John, furniture, paperhanging & general hardware dealer, stationer & tobacconist & ale & porter stores (in cask & bottles)

Bulmers 1895:
Dawes John, ale and porter mercht. and retlr. bookseller, stationer, tobacconist, house furnisher, assistant overseer, highway surveyor, assessor and collector of taxes, and tithe collector

Kelly 1895
Dawes John, stationer, hardware dealer & ale &; porter stores, &c. He was also listed as being secretary of the Ambergate, Crich, Bullbridge and Fritchley Gas light and Coke Co. Ltd

John Dawes was a supporter of the Crich Reading Rooms and his name appears on one of the foundation stones.

Crich reading Rooms

The following photograph shows him grand style in horse and carriage with friends and relations.

Photo Steve Dawes

Dawes in a carriage

Driver – George Wragg from Lea
Left to right: Arthur Haynes, John Dawes (bowler hatted), Arthur Gaunt (hatless) James Henry Dawes, Samuel Dawes.

It is presumed that the coach belonged to the Duke of Devonshire (George Wragg was his coachman). George Wragg kept the Three Horseshoes at Lea and hired out horse and traps.

John Dawes in his Order of the Druids regaliaJohna Dawes Druid

John Dawes photographs courtesy of Rosemary Hall

He makes appearances in the Denam Mason Diary on this site.

John was grandfather to Dr Geoff Dawes, local historian and author.

Home| Families Index