which consists of the villages of Crich, Fritchley and Whatstandwell.

CRICH in Kelly's Directory (1891)

Transcribed by Peter Patilla

CRICH is a town, township and extensive parish, 4¾ miles west-by-south from Alfreton, 5 north from Belper, one north-east from Whatstandwell station on the Manchester main line of the Midland railway and 144 from London, in the Mid division of the county, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, Belper union and petty sessional division, Alfreton county court district and rural deanery, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The railway and the Cromford canal pass along the south-western border of the parish, and the line from Ambergate to the north also bounds the parish on the south-east. The church of St. Mary, situated on a commanding height, is a building of stone, in mixed styles, partly Norman, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave of three bays, aisles, and a western tower with spire, containing a clock and 5 bells, dating from 1620 : the monuments include several to the Dixie family, and others to the Poles of Wakebridge, lords of the manor of that name, one of whom was falconer to Henry VII. ; there is also a memorial with a most curious epitaph to a member of the Clay family, and an inscribed stone slab to Anthony Babington esq. of Dethick, who with 13 others, engaged in a conspiracy to assassinate Queen Elizabeth, and raise the country, in favour of Mary Queen of Scots, then imprisoned in Wingfield Manor ; but the plot being discovered, the conspirators were arrested and executed at Tyburn, 20 and 21 Sept. 1586: there are three memorial stained windows : the church plate is dated 1712 : the church affords about 500 sittings. The registers date from the year 1604. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £244, with residence, in the gift of five trustees, and held since 1875 by the Rev, William Acraman, of St. Aidans, who is patron of the Iivings of the adjoining parishes of Tansley and Wessington. The mission church at Fritchley, one mile south-east, built in 1870, is also used as a day school; it was enlarged in 1874, and affords about 150 sittings, The Baptist Chapel, a building of stone, with a clock, was erected in 1877, and has sittings for 300 persons. The Free Methodist chapel was built in 1864. and there are also chapels belonging to this sect at Crich Carr and Wheatcroft, and Primitive Methodist chapels at Crich, erected in 1853, Crich Carr, Fritchley, erected in 1852, and at Morewood Moor. There is a small Wesleyan chapel and a Congregational chapel at Fritchley, erected in 1841. In the village is an ancient stone market cross ; (restored in 1871) : the upper part of which includes a group figure of St. Michael overcoming the Dragon. The market has been revived, and is held weekly on Friday. Fairs for sheep and cattle are held on the 6th of April and 11th of October. Emma Hurt's charity amounts to £47 yearly. the odd £7 goes to Wessington ; Cornthwaite's Charity, left in 1838, amounts to £6 7s. yearly for clothing ; Cooper's, of £6 5s. 10d. left in 1853, is distributed in money ; Wright's Charity , amounts to £17 14s. 6d. yearly, and is given to regular attendants at church. The charities for the township of Wessington amount to £10 yearly. The yearly sum of £7 5s. from the Rev, Francis Gisborne's Charity, received by the vicar and churchwardens and laid out in the purchase of flannel for the poor. In 1562 John Kirkland left £2 yearly to the poor of this parish for ever, which is distributed on St, Thomas' day. Sim's Charity, a benefaction of recent date, amounts to about £50, and is distributed so as to promote religious education. The inhabitants are principally employed in the adjacent quarries which produce Iimestone and gritstone of a superior quality, a large quantity being sent to London and other parts. Lea mills and other industrial centres in the neighbourhood also give employment to many, and the manufacture of hosiery by hand is carried on to a very considerable extent. There is a lead mine in operation at Wakebridge ; the Butterley Company have extensive quarries and lime kilns at Bull Bridge; at Ambergate are the limeworks of the Clay Cross Company, and at Whatstandwell are the gritstone quarries, the property of Duke of Devonshire K.G. At Crich is a reading room, a stone building, erected in 1887, at a cost of £300. Chase Cliffe, erected in 1859, is a handsome mansion of stone, pleasantly situate in grounds tastefully laid out, and is the property and residence of Miss Hurt. On Crich Stand, which has an elevation of upwards of 950 feet above the level of the sea, is a circular tower, 50 feet in height, erected in 1851, on the site of a former tower by the late Francis Hurt esq. of Alderwasley. On July 6th, 1882, a considerable landslip occurred which reached nearly to the base of the tower and demolished four houses. The principal landowners are Lieut.-CoI. Albert Frederick Hurt D.L., J.P. of Alderwasley, and W. Shore-SmIth esq. of Embley Park, Romsey, and there are several smaller freeholders. The Duke of Devonshire K.G. is also a landowner. The soil is loamy; subsoil, gritstone. The land is chiefly in pasturage. The acreage of the township is 3,750; rateable value, £13,102; the population in 1881 was 2,984.

FRITCHLEY is a village 1 mile south-east, with a mission church; CODDINGTON, half a mile west ; BULL BRIDGE, 1½ miles south; PLAISTOW GREEN, 1 mile north; and WHEATCROFT 2½ miles north, are hamlets. Crich Carr and Whatstandwell are also places here. Crich Carr is that portion of the parish near Whatstandwell railway station and is increasing in population.

Parish Clerk, John Wetton.

POST, M. O.& T. O., S. B. & Government Insurance & Annuity Office. -John Higton, postmaster. Letters arrive through Derby at 8.10 a.m. ; dispatched at 5.45 p.m

POST, M. o.. Insurance & Annuity Office, Whatstandwell.-Timothy Martin, postmaster. Letters arrive from Derby at 5.40 a.m. ; dispatched at 7 p, m. The nearest telegraph office is at Crich

POST OFFICE, Fritchley. -Thomas Davidson, receiver. Letters through Derby arrive at 7.30 a.m. ; dispatched at 6.10 p. m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Crich

WALL LETTER Box, at Crich, cleared at 5.30 p.m
WALL LETTER Box, at Fritchley, cleared at 6.10 p. m

SCHOOLS:- Parochial (mixed) (Crich), erected in 1848 for 330 children ; average attendance, 110 boys & girls & 40 infants ; Alfred Moody, master; Mrs. Alma Moody, infants mistress

National (Crich Carr), erected in 1884 for 80 children; average attendance, 75 ; Thomas L. Whitehouse master

National (Fritchley), erected in 1870 as a mission church & school & enlarged in 1874 by the addition of an infants' school room, it will hold 41 children: average attendance, 130 ; Thomas L. A. Cousens, master; Mrs. A. M. Cousens, mistress

British (Crich), erected in 1884-5; for 260 children; average attendance (mixed 175), infants, 52 ; Heyworth Dyson, master

Railway Station, Whatstandwell, Charles Whitmore, station master



Acraman Rev, William, Vicarage

Jackson Thomas, Field House

Boag Henry Basil, Bank House, Plaistow

Lee John Isaac, Church View

Connell Thos. South View, The Common

Lee Mrs. Walker, The Bower

Coupe George, Grove House

McCheane WiIIiam C. The Mansion House

Dawes Robert, Tor View

Macdonald GeorgeGodfrey M.B

Derbyshire James, The Common

Paling Wllliam Thomas

Drury Rev. George [curate], Dimple

Saxton John, The Sycamores

Dunn Christopher BIencowe Noble M.R.C.S. The Tors

Saxton Mrs. The Hollies

Hopkins Miss, Dimple House

Smith Ferdinand, Church View

Howett Joseph, Crich Common

Storer John

Hurt Miss, Chase Cliffe

Young Mrs. Rose Cottage


Bacon George, Wheatsheaf Inn

Greenhough William, Jun., butcher

Saxton John, insurance agt. The HoIlies

Baker Sarah (Mrs.), saddler

Hallam George, shopkeeper

Shipley William, watch maker

Baldwin Joseph, farmer, Pot Ho. Farm

Hancock John, farmer

Shipston Sarah (Mrs.), grocer

Barratt Joseph, beer retailer

Haslam Arthur, mason

Smith Arthur, butcher & farmer

Bingham Thomas, farmer, Edge Farm

Hawkins John, farmer, Plaistow Green

Smith George Ashbourne, wheelwright & farmer

Boag Henry Basil, agent for the Clay Cross Co.'s Quarries, Cliff

Haynes John, carpenter & cabinet maker

Smith James, wheelwright

Boag Robert, contractor

Higton John, butcher, Post Office

Southern Charles William, chemist

Boden Thomas, boot maker

Hitchcock Samuel farmer, Plaistow Green

Spendlove Robert, farmer, Plaistow

Bowmer Samuel, farmer & surveyor of highways, Sheldon House

Holmes Samuel, shopkeeper

Stocks John, baker & grocer

Brocklehurst Henry, Greyhound P.H

Holmes William, Jovial Dutchman P.H

Stocks Samuel, Royal Oak P.H

Brown George, boot maker

Hopkinson John, farmer, Wheatcroft

Stoppard (Aaron) & Walker (Charles), farmers, Hollins Farm

Brumwell George Herbert, Black Swan P.H. good stabling accommodation

Hopkinson Joseph, farmer, Wheatcroft

Swindell Samuel, farmer, Cowpershane

Burton Jeremiah, farmer, The Common

Howitt Joseph, farmer, The Common

Taylor John, farmer, Plaistow

Burton Samuel, Bull's Head P.H

Hunt James, saddler

Taylor Thomas, blacksmith

Cheetham Ann (Mrs.) butcher

Kirk EIijah, tailor & woollen draper

Taylor Vaughan, butcher & farmer, The Mount

Clay Cross Company's Quarries (Henry Basil Boag, Agent)

Knowles Samuel, boot repairer

Thorpe Thomas, farmer

Cotton Robert., farmer, Plaistow

Lee Brothers, wholesale & family grocers, tallow chandlers & cheese factors &c.

Turner George, farmer, Wheatcroft

Cowlishaw Henry, shopkeeper

Lynam William, farmer, Moorwood Moor

Walker Ellen (Miss), King's Arms P.H

Crich Reading Room (H. Dyson, sec)

Macdonald George Godfrey M.B. surgeon

Walker Frederick, draper

Critchlow Sarah (Mrs.), farmer, Edgmoor

Marshall William, farmer, Wheatcroft

Wass & Son (trustees of) (A. McL. Alsop, agt.), Wakebridge Mine & Smelting Wks

Crooks Samuel, farmer, Plaistow

Martin William, hair dresser

Whitaker Joseph, grocer & farmer

Curzon Frederick, tailor

Mather Henry, farmer

White John, farmer

Dawes John, stationer &c

Mellors George, boot maker

Wightman James, grocer

Denny John, farmer

Mowbray George, farmer, Wheatcroft

Wildgoose John, Rising Sun P.H

Derby & Derbyshire Banking Company Lim. (branch to Belper), open Tuesdays & Fridays 11am to 2.30pm ; draw on Williams, Deacon & Co. London E C

Ottewell Isaac, farmer, Culland

Wilton Thomas & Edward, farmers, Wakebridge Farm

Dunn Christopher Blencowe Noble, surgeon, & medical officer & public vaccinator, Crich, Lea & Holloway District, Belper Union

Perry Charles, shopkeeper

Woodward James, farmer, Plaistow Hill

England Hannah (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Petts WiIliam, stone & monumental mason, Common

Young William, farmer, Park Head

Evans Elizabeth ( Mrs.), grocer

Platts George, farmer


Gibbons Daniel, farmer, Wheatcroft

Poyser Ann (Miss), farmer, Chase


Greaves Abraham, chemist

Radford John, farmer


Greenhough Thomas, grocer & farmer

Robinson Joseph, grocer & farmer


Coddington, Crich Carr & Whatstandwell.

Marked thus * are Coddington.
Marked thus † are Crich Carr.
Without a mark are Whatstandwell.

Alsop James, Derwent House

Caudwell William, farmer, Thurlow Booth

Horton John

Flint George, Wheatsheaf P.H

Kirk William, Cliff Villa

Hawkes Frances (Mrs.), private school, lrvine Villa

Mason Charles, Jun.

Lee George, shopkeeper

Newton James

Ling, Herbert Jones, Derwent Hotel

Smith Ernest Le Blanc

Martin Timothy, grocer, provision merchant, & Post Office

† Ward Mrs. Leedway Bank Commercial

Merchant Joseph, coal merchant

† Allsop Rllbert, besom broom maker

Merchant Joseph Jun. butcher

*Broadhurst Daniel (Mrs.), farmer

Shaw Matthew, brick & tile manufactr. WigwelI brick works & Carr Cottage

Bryan Richard Peach, farmer, Bent Hill

Sims Anthony, farmer & stone merchant

Bunting Ann (Mrs), blacksmith

Statham Arthur timber merchant saw & moulding mills & joinery works


Whatstandwell Coffee Room (William Peacock, manager)
*Yates Walter, farmer Fritchley & Bull Bridge.
Alsop Mrs. The Beeches, Bull Bridge
Crozier Mrs.
Day John Henry, The Limes
Sargent Mrs


Ambergate, Crich, Bull Bridge & Fritchley Gas Co. (John Dawes, sec. ; John Bown, manager) Bull Bridge

Knighton Joseph, shopkeeper

Blackham Thomas, grocer

Leafe Edwin, hand machine hosiery manfr

Bowmer Thomas, farmer

Poyser James, boot & shoe maker

Butterley Company's Quarries & Lime Works (Jn. Hy. Day agent), Bull Bridge

Radford Joseph, miller (water) & farmer, Fritchley & Bull Bridge Mill, Heage

Chell George millwright

Radford Samuel, farmer

Curtis & Harvey's Gunpowder Magazine, (John Henry Day, agent), Bull Bridge

Radford Thomas, shopkeeper

Davidson Thomas, grocer, draper &c. & Post Office

Redfern Job, Lord Nelson P.H. Bull Bridge

Derbyshire Jesse, farmer, Barn Close Farm

Rowe Tom Anthony beer retailer

Else Charles Joseph, farmer & landowner, Bull Bridge

Slack James, miller & farmer

Fletcher Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Stevenson Jos. hand made hosiery manfr

Fritchley William, farmer

Wake Hugh, cabinet maker

Gaunt George, Red Lion P.H

Watkins Edward, bobbin manufacturer, wood turner & timber merchant, Bull Bridge

Gaunt Robert, rent dealer

Wilkinson George, Canal Inn, Bull Bridge

Kneebone Philip, farmer



Home| Genealogy Index