which consists of the villages of Crich, Fritchley and Whatstandwell.

CRICH in Kelly's Directory (1928)

Transcribed by Peter Patilla

CRICH is an ancient town, a beautiful and extensive parish, 1mile north-east from Whatstandwell station on the Manchester main line of the London, Midland and Scottish railway, 4 west-by-south from Alfreton, 4½ north from Belper, and 144 from London, in the Belper division of the county, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, union and petty sessional division of Belper, county court district and rural deanery of Alfreton, archdeaconry of Chesterfield and diocese of Derby. The railway and the Cromford canal pass along the south-western border of the parish, and the line from Ambergate to the north also bounds the parish on the south-east. The Ilkeston and Heanor Joint Water Board have constructed extensive water reservoirs at Chadwick, Crich, to supply the Borough of Ilkeston and Heanor Town with water by gravitation. The extensile works of the Derwent Valley Water Board are in this parish. The church of St. Michael, standing on a commanding height, is a building of stone, in mixed styles, partly Norman, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave of three bays, aisles, and a western tower with spire, containing a clock and 6 bells, dating from 1620: the monuments include several to the Dixie family, and others to the Poles of Wakebridge, lords of the manor of that name, one of whom was falconer to Henry VII. : there is also a memorial with a most curious epitaph to a member of the Clay family, and an inscribed stone slab to Anthony Babington esq. of Dethick, who, with 13 others, engaged in a conspiracy to assassinate Queen Elizabeth, and raise the country in favour of Mary Queen of Scots, then imprisoned in Wingfield Manor ; but the plot being discovered, the conspirators were arrested and executed at Tyburn, 20 and 21 Sept. 1586 : there are five memorial stained windows : the church plate is dated 1572 : the church affords about 400 sittings. In the churchyard is a granite cross erected by public subscription in memory of the men connected with the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18. The registers date from the year 1601. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £267, with residence, in the gift of trustees, and held since 1919 by the Rev. Richard Ord Wilson M.A. of Trinity College, Dublin, who is joint patron of the livings of the adjoining parishes of Tansley and Wessington. The mission church at Fritchley, 1 mile south-east, built in 1870 by Miss Elizabeth Hurt, is also used as a day school; it was enlarged in 1874, and affords about 150 sittings. The Baptist chapel, at Crich, a building of stone, with a clock, was erected in 1877, and has sittings for 200 persons : there is also a Wesleyan chapel. The United Methodist chapel was built in 1864, and there are also chapels belonging to this sect at Crich Carr and Wheatcroft, and Primitive Methodist chapels at Crich, erected in 1853, Crich Carr, Fritchley, erected in 1852, and at Morewood Moor. The Society of Friends have a meeting house at Fritchley. In the village is an ancient stone market cross (restored in 1871), the upper part of which includes a group of St. Michael overcoming the Dragon. The market is held weekly on Friday. Fairs for sheep and cattle are held on the 6th of April and 11th of October. The inhabitants are principally employed in the adjacent quarries, which produce limestone and gritstone of a superior quality, a large quantity being sent to London and other parts. Lea mills and other industrial centres in the neighbourhood also give employment to many, and the manufacture of hosiery by hand was formerly carried on to a very considerable extent. The Butterley Company have extensive quarries at Crich and lime kilns at Bull Bridge; at Ambergate are the limeworks of the Clay Cross Company, and at Whatstandwell are the gritstone quarries, the property of the Duke of Devonshire K.G., P.O., G.C.M.G., G.C.V.O., T.D. (lord lieut.). The reading room is a stone building, erected in 1887. Chase Cliffe, a handsome mansion of stone, pleasantly situated in grounds tastefully laid out, is occupied by Maurice Deacon esq. J.P. A yearly sum of £6 12s. 11d. from the Rev. Francis Gisborne's charity, is received by the vicar and churchwardens, and laid out in the purchase of flannel for the poor. In 1562 John Kirkland left £2 yearly to the poor of this parish for ever, which is distributed on St. Thomas' day. Sim's Charity, a benefaction of recent date, amounts to about £50, and is distributed so as to promote religious education. Emma Hurt's charity amounts to about £40 yearly ; Cornthwaite's charity left in 1838, amounts to £4 Is. 8d. yearly for clothing; Cooper's, of £1 3s. 8d. left in 1853, is distributed in money ; Wright's charity amounts to £16 5s. 8d. yearly, and is given to regular attendants at church. The charities for the township of Wessington amount to upwards of £7 yearly, payable from the charities of Crich. Miss Elizabeth Hurt left £1,000, invested in Consols, the interest of which is to augment the living of the vicar ; also £1,000 invested in Consols, the interest of which is to be distributed by the vicar and churchwardens to four old parishioners, each to receive 2s. 6d. a week ; and £1,000 invested in Consols, the interest of which : s to go towards the support of a trained parish nurse. On Crich Stand, which has an elevation of upwards of 950 feet above the level of the sea; was a circular tower, 50 feet in. height, erected in 1851, on the site of a former tower, by Francis Hurt esq. of Alderwasley (d. 1861): in 1902 this tower was struck by lightning and was closed to the public. On July 6th, 1882, a considerable landslip occurred which reached nearly to the base of the tOAver and demolished four houses. In 1922 the tower was rebuilt and dedicated as a memorial to the 11,400 men of all ranks of the Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regt.) who fell in the Great War, 1914-18. It was opened in Aug. 1923, by Gen. Sir Horace L. Smith-Dorrien G.C.B., G.C.M.G., D.S.O. Major Francis Cecil Albert Hurt J.P. is the chief landowner, and there are several small freeholders. The Duke of Devonshire K.G., P.C., G.C.M.G., G.C.V.O., T.D. is also a landowner. The soil is loamy ; subsoil, gritstone and limestone. The land is chiefly in pasturage. The area of the township is 3,498 acres of land and 33 of water ; the population of the township in 1921 was 3,056, and of the ecclesiastical parish, 3,056.

FRITCHLEY is a village, 1 mile south-east, with a mission church, and has an excellent supply of pure spring water Coddington, half a mile west; Bull Bridge, 1½ miles south ; Plaistowe Green, 1 mile north ; and Wheatcroft, 2 miles north, are hamlets. Crich Carr and Whatstandwell are also places here. Crich Carr is that portion of the parish near Whatstandwell railway station, and is increasing in population.

Post, M. O., T. & T. E. D. Office. Letters through Matlock

Post, M. O. & Telephone Call Office, Whatstandwell. Letters through Matlock. Whatstandwell railway station is the nearest T. office

Post & M. O. Office, Fritchley. Letters through Derby. Crich is the nearest T. office

Railway Station.—Whatstandwell (L. M. & S. Railway)


Bower Samuel, Grove house
Burtt Joseph, Greenhurst
Burtt Miss, Pine bank
Dunn Mrs. The Tors
Hawkes Nathaniel Irvin
Haywood Joseph, Ashleigh
Kay Arthur, West leigh (letters through Ambergate, Derby)
Macdonald George Godfrey M.D., J.P
Macdonald Miss M.B
Rankin Henry Joseph M.B., C.M.Glas
Whittaker George Ellis, The Sycamores
Wilson Rev. Richard Ord M.A. (vicar), The Vicarage

Early closing day, Wednesday.

Adkin Herbt. Geo. shopkpr
Ashley Louie (Mrs.), King's Arms P.H
Ashton Thomas, grocer
Barker Jn. E. mngr. to Clay Cross Co. Cliffe quarries. T N Ambergate 22
Barrett Charles, farmer, Plaistow
Berrisford Leonard, Cliff inn
Black Swan Hotel (Thos. Hutchinson, propr)
Blount Store (The), drapers
Bower Saml. farmer, Home farm
Bowmer John, farmer
Bown & Berrisford, haulage contrctrs
Bramley Walt, farmer, Plaistow
Briars (The) Vegetarian Guest House (A. & K. S. Ludlow, proprs)
Brocklehurst Henry, farmer, Woodgate
Brown John., farmer, Plaistow
Brumwell George, stationer, & post office
Brumwell Walter, fried fish dealer
Butterley Co.'s Quarries & Limeworks Ltd. (Jn. P. Hamilton, agt.) ; quarries, Hilts quarries
Byard Harry, farmer, Cowper lane
Checkley John William, baker
Clay Cross Co. Ltd. (Jn. E. Barker, mngr)
Cockayne Jsph. farmer
Cooper Jabez, confectioner
Curzon George, shopkeeper
Curzon William, farmer, Bowmer rough
Dawes Elizabeth (Mrs.), draper
Dawes James, shopkeeper
Derwent Valley Water Board (Sidney
Beaugorge Winser M.I.C.E. engni)
Else William, farmer, Plaistow green
Fantom Arthur, boot & shoe maker
Frank John Frederick, grocer
Gretton Hannah (Mrs.), farmer, Wheatcroft
Haslam Alfd. rating officer & collector
Haslam Geo. farmer, Fishpond farm
Haslam Jn. smallholder
Hawkins John, farmer, Chuckstone
Haynes John & Son, carpenters & timber merchants
Haynes Charles, plumber


Haynes George, builder
Holmes Saml. boot repr
Hopkinson Job, farmer, Yew Tree farm
Hopkinson Jn. farmer, Wheatcroft
Housley Geo. smallholder, Plaistow
Housley William, fruiterer
Howcroft Wm. outfitter
Jenkinson Joseph, farmer, Plaistow
Key Geo. farmer, Dial farm
Lawley Ruth (Mrs.), farmer, Moorwood moor
Lee Mary Jane (Mrs.), smallholder, Coast hill
Lester James, fruiterer & greengrocer
Limb George, farmer, Wheatcroft
Littlewood Jane (Mrs.), Rising Sun P.H
Lockwood H. farmer, Lea moor
Ludlam Arth. farmer
Ludlow Arthur H. motor omnibus proprietor, The Briars
Ludlow Arth. Herbt. farmer
Lynam Jas. Duncan, shopkpr. Market pi
Lynam Samuel, farmer, Chadwick nick
Macdonald Eileen M. (Miss) M.B., B.Ch.. L.R.CP. & S. Edin., L.R.F.P.S.Glas. Physcn
Macdonald George Godfrey M.D., CM. Glas., J.P. surgeon, & medical officer & public vaccinator Crich, Lea & Holloway district, Belper union
Marshall Arthur, farmer, Plaistow green1
Marshall Robert, farmer, Wheatcroft
Mason Eunice (Mrs.), shopkpr
Mercer Alfd. M.P.S. chemist
Miners' Welfare Institute (Geo. Hartshorn, sec)
Morley John, farmer, Wheatcroft
Ollivant Tom, Jovial Dutchman P.H
Payne Joseph, contractor
Picture House (J. H. Heath, mngr)
Platts Thomas, farmer, Plaistow
Pye Thomas, farmer, Dimple house
Radford Jn. Geo. farmer, Hollins farm
Rankin Henry Joseph M.B., C.M.Glas.
physician & surgeon
Richardson Jas. farmer, Wheatcroft
Ripley Provident Industria & Co-operative Society Limited (branch)
Seals Alfd. farmer, Moor Edge farm
Seals Annie (Mrs.), farmer, Crich Common
Seals Curtis, farmer, Church farm ;
Seals Edmnd. farmer, Barn close
Shipston William, farmer
Slack Jas. farmer, Hill top
Smith Fred Lillo, newsagt
Smith George, wheelwright
Smith Hy. Victor, farmer, The Bowen
Smith John Henry, butcher
Smith Joseph, farmer, Crich cross
Smith Joseph Henry, farmer, Wheatcroft
Smith Leslie, haulage contrctr
Smith Samuel, Bull's Head P.H
Sulley Joseph, shopkeeper
Taylor Benj. smallholder, Plaistow
Taylor Gervase E. car proprietor
Taylor Percy P. butcher
Taylor Walt, farmer, The Mount
Twigg George, farmer, Chase
Westminster Bank Ltd. (sub-branch to
Belper) (open tues. & fri. 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.); head office, 41 Lothbury,
London E C 2
Williamson Thomas, farmer, Plaistow
Willmot Charles, blacksmith
Wilton John, farmer, Wakebridge farm
Wragg John, news agent
Yates Geo. farmer, Plaistow

Marked thus * are Coddington.
Marked thus ✝ are Crich Carr.
Without a mark are Whatstandwell. -

Bunting Joseph, Eden bank
Deacon Maurice J.P. Chase cliffe
✝Ross Miss Sheila M., M.D. Ludway bank
✝Starr James Best, Villa Rosa

Bryan John, farmer, Bent hill
Bunting Richard, blacksmith
Buxton Mary (Mrs.), Wheatsheaf P.H
Cooke Mary (Mrs.), refreshment rooms
Dawbarn Yelverton Bros. Ltd. steam
joinery works. T N Ambergate 12
Derwent Commercial Hotel (Jas. 0. Mountney, propr)
Else Frank, farmer
Godfrey & Son, florists
Gough Herbt. grocer
Gregory George, farmer
*Hodgkinson Joseph, farmer
Jackson Isaac, coal & coke merchant
Kirk H. motor cab propr
Marris Elizabeth (Mrs.), draper
Peacock Ann (Miss), draper
Rackstraw Harry C. coal merchant
Renew (The) Hair Institute, hair re-
storers. T N Ambergate 30
Riches Rt. Clitheroe, sanitary inspector to the Belper Rural District Council, Derwent villa. T N Ambergate 33
Sims Anthony Ltd. quarry owners, Duke's quarries. T N Ambergate 25
Wootten Alfred, farmer, Thurlow booth
*Yates Frederick, farmer

(Bull Bridge postal address, via Ambergate.)

Else Charles Joseph. Park lodge
Hamilton John Pakenham, Bull Bridge
Radford Mrs. Southfield
Smith George, Fernside
Wallis John B. Beech house, Bull Bridge
Watkins Edward

Allen Ernest, Canal inn, Bull Bridge
Ambergate, Crich, Bull Bridge & Fritchley Gas Light & Coke Co. Limited (Samuel Kirkham, sec; Charles MacPlierson, manager); works, Bull Bridge
Barrett Jesse, farmer, Bull Bridge
Bowmer Thomas, farmer, Mill farm
Butterley Company's Quarries & Lime Works Limited (John Pakenham Hamilton, agent), Bull Brid
Croaysdill George Wm. boot & shoe ma
Fritchley William, farmer
Hyde Henry, grocer
LynamSaml.butcher. T N Ambergate 28
Minard Wilfred, beerretlr
Radford Samuel, farmer
Ryde George, Pied Lion P.H
Saint Wm. Lord Nelson P.H. Bull Bridge
Seals Edmnd. farmer
Smith George & Son. grocers
Stevenscns (Dyers) Ltd. dyers & cleaners, yarn & hosiery dyers & finishers. Bull Bridge. T N Ambergate 8
Storer Ada Harriet (Mrs.), shopkpr
Watkins Arthur, farmer, Fritchley

Home| Genealogy Index