which consists of the villages of Crich, Fritchley and Whatstandwell.

CRICH in Kelly's Directory (1932)

Transcribed by Peter Patilla
CRICH is an ancient town, a beautiful and extensive parish, one mile north-east from Whatstandwell station on the Manchester main line of the Midland railway, 4 west-by-south from Alfreton, 4½ north from Belper, and 144 from London, in the Mid division of the county, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, Belper union and petty sessional division, Alfreton county court district, Alfreton rural deanery. Chesterfield archdeaconry and Southwell diocese. The railway and the Cromford canal pass along the south-western border of the parish, and the line from Ambergate to the north also bounds the parish on the south-east. The Ilkeston and Heanor Joint Water Board have constructed extensive water reservoir at Chadwick, Crich, to supply the Borough of Ilkeston and Heanor Town with water by gravitation. The extensive works of the Derwent Valley Water Board are in this parish. The church of St. Michael, standing on a commanding height. is a building of stone, in mixed styles, partly Norman, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave of three bays, aisles, and a western tower with spire, containing a clock and 6 bells, dating from 1620: the monuments include several to the Dixie family and others to the Poles of Wakebridge, lords of the manor of that name, one of whom was falconer to Henry VII: there is also a memorial with a most curious epitaph to a member of the Clay family, and an inscribed stone slab to Anthony Babington esq. of Dethick, who, with 13 others engaged in a conspiracy to assassinate Queen Elizabeth, and raise the country in favour of Mary Queen of Scots, then imprisoned in Wingfield Manor; but the plot being discovered, the conspirators were arrested and executed at Tyburn, 20 and 21 Sept. 1586: there are five memorial stained windows: the church plate is dated 1712: the church affords about 500 sittings. The registers date from the year 1601. The living is a vicarage, net 'Yearly value £255, with residence, in the gift of five trustees, and held since 1905 by the Rev. Joseph Martyn Simmons M.A. of Christ's College. Cambridge. who is patron of the livings of the adjoining parishes of Tansley and Wessington. The mission church at Fritchley, one mile south-east, built in 1870 by Miss Elizabeth Hurt, is also used as a day school : it was enlarged in 1874. and affords about 150 sittings. The Baptist chapel at Crich, a building of stone, with a clock. was erected in 1877, and has sittings for 200 persons. The United Methodist chapel was built in1864 and there are also chapel belonging to this sect at Crich Carr and Wheatcroft, and Primitive Methodist chapels at Crich, erected in 1853, Crich Carr, Fritchley, erected in 1852, and at Morewood Moor. The Society of Friends have a Meeting House at Fritchley. In the village is an ancient stone market cross (restored in 1871), the upper part of which includes a group of St. Michael overcoming the Dragon. The market is held weekly on Friday. Fairs for sheep and cattle are held on the 6th of April and 11th of October. The inhabitants are principally employed in the adjacent quarries. Which produce limestone and gritstone of a superior quality, a large quantity being lent to London and other parts. Lea mills and other industrial centres in the neighbourhood also give employment to many, and the manufacture of hosiery by hand was formerly carried on to a very considerable extent. The Butterley Company have extensive quarries at Crich and lime kilns at Bull Bridge: at Ambergate are the limeworks of the Clay Cross Company, and at Whatstandwell are the gritstone quarries, the property of the Duke of Devonshire K.G., P.C., G.C.M.G., G.C.V.O.,T.D. (lord lieut).
The reading room is a stone building,erected in 1887, at a cost at £300 Chase Cliffe, erected in 1859, is a handsome mansion of stone, pleasantly situate in grounds tastefully laid out, and is the property and is occupied by Maurice Deacon esq. J.P. A yearly sum of £6 12s. 11d. from the Rev. Francis Gisborne's Charity, is received by the vicar and churchwardens, and laid out in the purchase of flannel for the poor. In 1562 John Kirkland left £2 yearly to the poor of this parish for ever, which is distributed on St. Thomas' day. Sim's Charity a benefaction of recent date, amounts to about £50, and is distributed so as to promote religious education. Emma Hurt's charity amounts to about £40 yearly; Cornthwaite's charity left in 1838 amounts to £4 1s 8d. yearly for clothing; Cooper's of £1 3s. 8d. left in 1853 is distributed in money; Wright’s charity amounts to £16 5s 8d yearly and is given to regular attendance at church. The charities for the township of Wessington amount to upwards of £7 yearly payable from the charities of Crich. Miss Elizabeth Hurt left £1,000, invested in Consols the interest of which is to augment the living of the vicar; also £1,000 invested in Consols the interest of which is to be distributed by the vicar and churchwardens to four old parishioners each to receive 2s 6d. a week; and £1.000 invested in Consols the interest of which is to go towards the support of a trained parish nurse. On Crich Stand, which has an elevation of upwards of 950 feet; above the level of the sea is a circular tower, 50 feet in height. erected in 1851 on the site of a former tower, by Francis Hurt esq. of Alderwasley (d. I861): in 1902 the tower was struck by lightning and was closed to the public. On July 6th 1882 a considerable landslip occurred which reached nearly to the base of the tower and demolished four houses. In 1922 the tower was rebuilt and dedicated as a memorial to the 11,400 men of all ranks of the Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regt.) who fell in the Great War, 1914-18. It was opened in Aug. 1923, by Gen. Sir Horace L. Smith-Dorrien G.C.B., G.C.M.G., D.SO. Francis George Hurt esq. is the chief landowner, and there are several small freeholders. The Duke of Devonshire KG., P.C., G.C.M.G., G.C.V.O., T.D. is also a landowner. The soil is loamy; subsoil, gritstone and limestone. The land is chiefly in pasturage. The area of the township is 3,498 acres of land and 33 of water; the population of the township in 1921 was 3,056, and of the ecclesiastical parish, 3,056.

FRITCHLEY is a village, 1 mile south-east, with a mission church, and has an excellent supply of pure spring water. Coddington, half a mile west; Bull Bridge, 1½ miles south; Plaistowe Green, 1 mile north ; and Wheatcroft, 2 miles north, are hamlets. Crich Carr and Whatstandwell are also places here. Crich Carr is that portion of the parish near Whatstandwell railway station, and is increasing in population.

Post, M. 0., T. & T. E. D. Office. Letters through Matlock
Post, M. 0. & Telephone Call Office, Whatstandwell. Letters through Matlock. Whatstandwell railway station is the nearest T. office
Post, M. 0. & Tel. Call Office, Fritchley. Letters through Derby. Crich nearest T. office
Railway Station.—Whatstandwell (L. M. & S. Railway)



Austin Miss, The Mount
Bolas Joseph Vernon, Aingarth (letters through Ambergate, Derby)
Bower Samuel, Grove house
Burtt Joseph, Greenhurst
Burtt Miss, Pine bank
Dunn Mrs. The Tors
Hawkes Nathaniel Irvin
Haywood Joseph, Ashleigh
Jones Rev. Hubert Edmund B.Sc. (vicar), The Vicarage
Kay Arthur, Austra-leigh (letters through Ambergate, Derby)
Macdonald George Godfrey M.D., J.P
Macdonald Miss M.B
Rankin Henry Joseph M.B., C.M.Glas
Robinson Joseph, Beech lawn
Smith Percy S. Woodleigh
Whittaker George Ellis, The Sycamores


Early closing day, Wednesday.

Adkin Herbt. Geo. shopkpr
Allsop Bros, bakers
Ashley Louie (Mrs.), King's Arms P.H
Ashton Annie (Mrs.), grocer
Barrett Charles, farmer, Plaistow
Berrisford Leonard, Cliff inn
Black Swan Hotel (Thos. Hutchinson,
Blount Store (The), drapers
Bown & Berrisford, haulage contrctrs
Briars (The) Vegetarian Guest House
(A. & K. S. Ludlow, proprs.). T N
Ambergate 44
Brocklehurst Henry, farmer, Woodgate
Brown John, farmer, Plaistow
Brumwell George, stationer, & post office
Brumwell Walter, fried fish dealer
Butterley Co.'s Quarries & Limeworks
Ltd. (Jn. P. Hamilton, agt.); quarries,
Hilts quarries
Clark Nina Margt. (Miss), district nurse,
Sandy la
Clay Cross Co. Ltd. (Geo. Nodder, mngr)
Cockayne Jsph. farmer
Cooper Jabez, confectioner
Cooper Wm. Geo. sanitary inspector to
the Belper Rural District Council,
Derwent villas. T N Ambergate 33
Curzon George, shopkeeper
Curzon William, farmer, Bowmer rough
Dawes James, shopkeeper
Else. William, farmer, Plaistow green
Fantom Arthur, boot & shoe maker
Frank John Frederick, grocer
Gretton Hannah (Mrs.) farmer, Wheatcroft
Haslam Alfd. rating officer & collector
Haslam Elsie (Miss), shopkr
Haslam Geo. farmer, Fishpond farm
Haslam Jn. smallholder
Hawkins John, farmer, Chuckstone
Haynes John & Son, carpenters
Haynes Charles, plumber
Holmes Saml. boot repr
Hopkinson Job, farmer, Yew Tree farm
Hopkinson Jn. farmer, Wheatcroft
Housley Geo. smallholder, Plaistow
Humphrey Jas. Benj. smallholder,
Woodside farm
Key Geo. farmer, Dial farm
Lawley Ruth (Mrs.), farmer, Moorwood

Lee Mary Jane (Mrs.), smallholder,
Coast hill
Lee Wm.Douglas, smallholder, Cowperla
Lester James, fruiterer & greengrocer
Limb George, farmer, Wheatcroft
Lockwood H. farmer, Lea moor
Ludlam Arth. farmer
Lynam Jas. Duncan, shopkpr. Market pi
Lynam Samuel, farmer, Chadwick nick
Macdonald Eileen M. (Miss) M.B., B.Ch.,
L.R.C.P. & S. Edin., L.R.F.P.S.Glas.
Macdonald George Godfrey M.D., CM,
Glas., J.P. surgeon, & medical officer
& public vaccinator Crich, Lea &
Holloway district, Mid-Derbyshire
Area Guardians Committee
Marshall Arthur, farmer, Plaistow green
Marshall Robert, farmer, Wheatcroft
Martin Edwd. draper
Mason Eunice (Mrs.), shopkpr
Miners' Welfare Institute (Wilfred
Martin, sec)
Morley John, farmer, Wheatcroft
Nadin Jas. Wm. Jovial Dutchman P.H
Pearson Geo. Wm. Rising Sun P.H
Picture House (Mrs. M. 0. Broad, mngr)
Platts Ernest, farmer, Plaistow
Pye Thomas, farmer, Dimple house
Radford Jn. Geo. farmer, Hollins farm
& Plaistow
Rankin Henry Joseph M.B., C.M.Glas.
physician & surgeon
Richardson Jas. farmer, Wheatcroft
Ripley Provident Industrial & Co-opera-
tive Society Limited (branch)
Slack Jas. farmer, Hill top
Smith Fred Lillo, newsagt
Smith George, wheelwright
Smith John Henry, butcher
Smith Joseph, farmer, Crich cross
Smith Joseph Henry, farmer, Wheatcroft
Smith Leslie, haulage contrctr
Smith Samuel, Bull's Head P.H
Street C. farmer, Moor Edge
Stockton Edwin Chas. hairdrssr
Sulley Joseph, shopkeeper
Taylor Benj. smallholder, Plaistow
Taylor Gervase E car proprietor
Taylor Horace, wireless accessories dlr
Taylor Percy P. butcher
Twigg George, farmer, Chase
Westminster Bank Ltd. (sub-branch to
Belper) (open tues. & fri. 11 a.m. to
2 p.m.); head office, 41 Lothbury,
London E C 2
Wilkins Chas. Edwd. M.P.S. chemist,
Market pl & draper, The Cross
Wilmot Rt. farmer, Chase farm (letters
through Ambergate)
Williamson Chas. farmer, Plaistow
Williamson Thomas, farmer, Plaistow
Willmot Charles, blacksmith
Wilton John, farmer, Wakehridge farm
Wragg John, news agent
Yates Geo. farmer, Plaistow


Marked thus * are Coddington. Marked thus ✝ are Crich Carr. Without a mark are Whatstandwell.


Bunting Joseph, Eden bank
✝ Cooper Mrs. W. Hill. Ludway Bank
Deacon Maurice J.P. Chase cliffe
✝ Ross Miss Shiela M. M.D. Ludway bank


Allsop Jn. Fredk. smallholder, Merebrook
Bryan John, farmer, Bent hill
Bunting Richard, blacksmith
Cooke Mary (Mrs.), refreshment rooms
Dawbarn Yelverton Bros. Ltd. steam
joinery works. T N Ambergate 12
Derwent Commercial Hotel (Jn. Wm.
Waterfall, propr)
Else Frank, farmer
Godfrey C. B. & Son, florists
Gough Herbt. grocer
*Gregory George, farmer
*Hodgkinson Joseph, farmer
Maroon Bus Co. (Jn. Wltr. Taylor,
propr.), motor omnibus proprs
Marris Emily (Mrs.), confctnr
Moore W. J. grocer
Motor Supplies (Midland) Ltd. (Fredk.
Godfrey, propr.), petrol filling station
Rackstraw Harry C. coal merchant
Renew (The) Hair Institute, hair restorers. T N Ambergate 30
Shaw Thos. Wheatsheaf P.H
Sims Anthony Ltd. quarry owners,
Duke's quarries. T N Ambergate 25
Wootten Alfred, farmer, Thurlow booth
*Yates Frederick, farmer


(Bull Bridge postal address, via Ambergate.)


Else Charles Joseph, Park lodge
Hamilton John Pakenham, Bull Bridge
Radford Jn. Widdison, Southfield
Smith George, Fernside
Wallis John B. Beech house, Bull Bridge


Ambergate, Crich, Bull Bridge & Fritchley Gas Light & Coke Co. Limited
(Jn. Steen, sec; Chas. MacPherson,
mngr.); works, Bull Bridge
Barrett Jesse, farmer, Fritchley
Bowmer Thomas, farmer, Mill farm
Butterley Company's Quarries & Lime
Works Limited (John Pakenham Hamilton, agent), Bull Bridge
Chantry Percy, Lord Nelson P.H
Croaysdill George Wm. boot & shoe ma
Fritchley William, farmer
Hollis Jn. Canal inn, Bull Bridge
Hyde Hy. grocer, Bull Bridge
Hyman Edwd. Red Lion P.H
Lynam Saml.butcher. T N Ambergate 28
Minard Wilfred, beer retlr
Phillpott Violet (Miss), shopkpr. Bull Bridge
Radford Samuel, farmer
Rawson Rt. greengro
Smith George & Son grocers
Smith Hy. Victor, farmer, Barn Close
Stevensons (Dyers) Ltd. yarn & hosiery
dyers & finishers, Bull Bridge. T N
Ambergate 8
Storer Ada Harriet (Mrs.), shopkpr
Storer Emily (Mrs.), shopkpr
Watkins Arthur, farmer, Fritchley


Home| Genealogy Index