CRICH PARISH

which consists of the villages of Crich, Fritchley and Whatstandwell

Photo album: Places of worship in Crich Parish

Over the years Crich Parish has had fifteen places of worship. The places still open for service are:
St Mary's Parish Church, Crich
Baptist Chapel, Crich
Wesleyan Chapel, Crich
Congregational Chapel, Fritchley
Friends Meeting House, Fritchley
Briars Conference Centre – Catholic masses, Crich
Moorwood Moor Primitive Methodist Chapel

On the edges of the parish in Wingfield Park is the Smith's Memorial Hall which has been and is still used as a place of worship. It has a small cemetery and war memorial. It is used by residents of Crich Parish.


St Mary's Church

Photo: Peter Patilla

photo of St Mary's

St Mary's Parish Church was built about 1135.


Ebenezer Chapel

Photo: Christine Toft (née Sellors)

photo of Ebeneezer chapel

The Ebenezer Chapel on Roes Lane Crich was built in 1839. It once had a small cemetry alongside. It was replaced by the Baptist Chapel in the Market Place in 1877. This chapel is now a private house.


Mount Tabor Chapel

Photo: Peter Patilla

photo of Mount Tabor Chapel

Mount Tabor United Methodist Chapel on Bown's Hill was built in 1864 by Crich quarrymen in their spare time. For a short time is was a British School built in competion to the Parochial Church School. It is now a private house.


Baptist Chapel

Photo: Peter Patilla

photo of Baptist Chapel, Crich

The Baptist Chapel in Crich Market Place had its foundation stone laid in 1877. It stands on the site of what was once Sir Roger Beler's Manor House. It is still a place of worship.


Crich Primitive Methodist

Photo: Peter Patilla

photo of Crich Primitive Chapel

Crich Primitive Methodist on Sun Lane was built in about 1855. It is now a private dwelling


Wesleyan Chapel

Photo: Peter Patilla

photo of Wesleyan Chapel Croch

The Wesleyan Chapel on Chapel Lane is the oldest in the parish being built in 1765. John Wesley preached here. It is still a place of worship.


The Briars Residential Youth Centre

From an undated postcard

postcard of the Briars

The Briars Residential Centre on the Common, Crich, is the youth retreat centre for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Nottingham. It holds a Catholic Mass each week, primarily for the people attending the centre but it is open for the local community to attend as well. The Briars was originally built in 1910 as a pair of semi-detached houses for well-known Quaker George Smith as homes for his two married daughters, Catherine and Elizabeth.


Fritchley Mission and School

Photo: Peter Patilla

photo of Fritchley Mission School

Fritchley Mission and School was built in 1869 through money donated by Miss Emma Hurt. It is now a private dwelling.


Fritchley Primative Chapel

Photo: Professor Jim Eggleston

phboto of date stone on Fritley Primative chapel

The first Fritchley Primative Methodist Chapel was built in 1829. It was rebuilt in 1852 and is now a private dwelling.

Photo: Keith Clark

Primitive Chapel


Fritchley Congregational Chapel

Photo: Peter Patilla

photo of Congregational Chapel Fritchley

Fritchley Congregational Chapel was founded in 1841 on Fritchley Green. It is still a place of worship.


Fritchley Friends' Meeting House

Photo: Peter Patilla

photo of Fritchley Friends Meeting House

Local Quakers founded their own society in Fritchley during 1869. They built the Meeting House in 1897.


Crich Carr Primitive Methodist Chapel

Photo: Peter Patilla

photo of Primitive Chapel in Whatstandwell

The Crich Carr Primitive Methodist Chapel on Hindersitch Lane, It was built about 1845 and held about 100 worshippers. A Sabbath School was taught here. In 1884 it was decided to build a larger chapel to cater for the larger congregations. Subsequently a replacement was built on Top Lane.
Currently it is a storage unit.

Derbyshire Courier 22 July 1837
Crich Carr-on Sunday last the 16th instant, the Sunday School Sermons for the Primitive Methodist school, at Crich Carr, near Cromford, were preached in the open air (the chapel being far too small for the occasion) to very large audiences, by the Rev W Stokes, of Burton upon Trent. The collections exceeded those of former occasions, and testified the attachment of the people to the increasing schools of that picturesque village.

Derbyshire Advertiser and Journal 13 August 1847
Crich Carr – on Monday last, the children belonging to the Primitive Methodist Sunday school were regaled by their teachers and friends with tea and plumcake, in the newly erected chapel belonging to that society of Christians.

Derbyshire Times and Chesterfield Herald 27 April 1878
Opening of a new chapel at Crich Carr near Belper
A new chapel in connection with the primitive Methodist body, was opened for Divine worship at Crich Carr, in the Belper circuit, last week. For nearly 40 years the primitive Methodists have conducted a public worship, and taught a Sabbath school, at Crich Carr, in the year 1845 they erected a small chapel, which will seat about 100 persons. This chapel has been made to serve for all purposes until the present time. It has however been long been inadequate for the accommodation of the congregation and the Sabbath school. It was therefore resolved some 18 months ago to make an effort to raise new and better premises. While deliberating on the matter, the society found a friend in Mr John Sims, of Crich Carr, who kindly offered to give an eligible site of land on which to erect a new chapel and schoolroom, the stone required, in the erection and £100 towards the cost thereof.


Crich Carr Primitive Methodist Chapel

Photo: Peter Patilla

photo of Crich Carr Prinitive Chapel

Crich Carr Primitive Chapel was built in 1877 with stone donated from a local quarry by John Sims who also provided the site and £100 towards the cost. There was a race on with the Crich Baptists to see who could finish their chapel first. The Crich Carr Methodists claimed a moral victory. It is now a private dwelling.


Moorwood Moor Primitive Chapel

Photo: Peter Patilla

photo of morwood moor chapel

The Moorwood Moor Primitive Methodist Chapel, built in 1854, is still used as a place of worship. Although just across the boundary into South Wingfield Parish it was (and is) used by Crich residents, particularly those in the Plasitow Green area. Generations of the Yeomans family have been closely associated with this chapel for many years.

The chapel enjoyed its centenary celebrations in 1954.

Courtesy Nellie Brumwell

Moorwood Moor Chapel cenenary

Moorwood Moor Chapel centenary

Moorwood Moor Chapel centenary


Wheatcroft United Methodist Chapel

Photo: Peter Patilla

photo of Wheatcroft Primitive Chapel

The United Methodist Chapel in Wheatcroft dates back to the late 17th century. It had an earth closet to the side which was shared with the Wheatcroft Institute – built alongside the chapel. It is currently a holiday let.


Smith's Memorial Hall, Wingfield Park

Photo courtesy Stan Smith

Smith's Memorial Hall

Read the history of this Hall and its adjoining cemetery:

Smith's Hall and Cemetery


If you have more information please email contact@crichparish.co.uk

Home| Photo Index | History Index