CRICH PARISH

which consists of the villages of Crich, Fritchley and Whatstandwell

Shuckstone Cross and Holy Wells

Shuckstone Cross

The route north out of Crich passed by Shuckstone – a place separately identified in the Domesday Survey. Here, at a junction coming up from Robin Hood and Wakebridge was to be found Shuckstone Cross where, in 1788, an earthen pot of copper Roman coins was found. It is known that the Romans exploited the local lead from about A.D. 117.

A 'shuck' was a robber and a murderer.

Thank you to George Wiggleworth for the following information and photographs.

mao of shuckstone

Site of Shuckstone Cross

shuckstone map drawn

Map drawn by George Wigglesworth

photo of shuckstone cross stone

Shuckstone Cross

 

photo of shuckstome cross

Sketch and iterpretation of the engravings by George Wigglesworth

The letters C and A are thought to represent Crich and Ashover.

Shuckstone Holy Wells

In the same field as Shuckstone Cross is Shuckstone Holy Wells.

photo of shuckstone holy well

Deans Stile

Leading out of the field is Dean's Stile, a boundary marker between two parishes.

photo shuckstone deans stile

Note the letter C on the stile. It is a boundary marker between Crich Parish and that of Lea & Holloway.

 

Home| History Index