There have been at least three weathercocks on top of the church.
Extract from an unnamed document dated 1908
The weathercock upon which the spire was bought of one Birds of Mansfield in 1692 by John Beardsall Senior and Thomas Bowmer, Churchwardens. It cost 28/- and 12/- gilding. so that it lay the Parish in 40/-
Anno Domini 1769 this weathercock was taken down again and fresh gilt by David Woodhouse and George Bacon, Churchwardens.
The Steeple and spire were also painted at the same time.
Photo courtesy of Stan Smith from the George Smith Collection
Home| Church Index