CRICH PARISH

which consists of the villages of Crich, Fritchley and Whatstandwell

Wessington in White's Directory (1857)

CRICH, is an extensive parish containing the township of CRICH, in the Morleston and Litchurch Hundred; the township of WESSINGTON, in Scarsdale Hundred; and the township and chapelry of TANSLEY, in the Wirksworth Hundred. The entire parish contains 5,772A. 3R. 0P. of land, rich in minerals and every variety of soil, and in 1851, had 832 houses, and 3,670 inhabitants, of whom 1,861 were males and 1,809 females, rateable value £7,898 9s. 6d. This is a picturesque district of lofty hills and deep valleys. At the Norman survey, the manor belonged to Ralph Fitzhubert, from whom it passed to the Frechvilles; Sir Roger Belers, who died seized of it in 1380, left two daughters, who possessed it in moieties, but the whole ultimately devolved to the descendants of Sir Robert de Swillington, who married the elder; it afterwards passed to Ralph, Lord Cromwell, who, in the reign of Henry VI., sold the reversion to John Talbot, second Earl of Shrewsbury. On the death of Gilbert, Earl of Shrewsbury, in 1616, it was divided between his daughters and co-heiresses, the Countesses of Kent, Pembroke, and Arundel, since which time it has been sold to various persons.

WESSINGTON or WASHINGTON, is a township and small village, scattered round an open green, pleasantly situated on high ground, in the parish of Crich, and in the Scarsdale Hundred; 3 miles N. from Crich, 3½ miles N.W. by W. from Alfreton. It contains 1,250 acres of land, 111 houses, and 515 inhabitants, of whom 269 are males, and 246 females; rateable value, £1400. Mr. George Wragg, of Road Nook Hall, which is situated in the liberty of Brackenfield, is the lord of the manor, (freehold) and principal owner. Miss Hopkinson is also a considerable owner, besides many other small feeholders. The inhabitants are principally employed in framework knitting, there being about 80 frames in the village. The Feast is held on the second Sunday in August. A Sunday school was erected by subscription in 1841, which is now licensed as an Episcopal place of worship, and the vicar of Crich officiates in it. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a small chapel here. At the Domesday survey, this manor was held by Levine, under Ralph Fitz Hubert. It was given to the monks at Derley, by Ralph Fitz Odo, and Geoffrey de Constantine. King Henry VIII. granted it in 1544 to Thomas Babington, Esq. In 1611, Gilbert Earl of Shrewsbury was lord of the manor; in 1657 it was sold by the Earl of Arundel, grandson of one of his co-heiresses.

CHARITIES.—Hunter’s charity,—(see Horsley).—The yearly sum of £1 5s. is received by the township of Wessington, and distributed with 5s. from Rean’s charity amongst 15 poor families of the township.
Edward Rean, in 1786, gave to the poor of this township half a house and land vested in Thomas Marsden, producing 5s. a year.
William Hill, in 1772, gave land producing 10s. per annum to widows not receiving parish relief. It is paid in respect of some lands in Wessington, and the amount given according to the donor’s intention.

 

WESSINGTON TOWNSHIP

Cardeux Mary Ann, schoolmistress

Sims James, vict., Three Horse Shoes

Cross John, shopkeeper

Sterland Wm., vict., Horse & Jockey

Frost Mr. John, Bunting House

Taylor Timothy, shoemaker

Lane William, shoemaker

Wheatcroft William, shoemaker

Rawson Elizabeth, shopkeeper

Tomlinson William, blacksmith

Sadler Thomas, wheelwright

 

 

FARMERS

Sims John

Bonsall Matthew

Sterland William, (& butcher)

Bryan Matthew

Thorpe Thomas

Cresswell John, (and brick maker)

Wetton George

Goodwin William

White Joseph

Hodgson Thomas

Willott George

Marriott Mary

Willott Jonathan

Marsden John

Wragg Edward

Marshall Elizabeth

Wragg George

Mountney James, (& shopkeeper)

Wragg Samuel

Rawson William

Yeomans John

This was from a printed transcript, author unknown.

Home| Wessington Index